Mimecast Launches Next Generation Email Security
Cloud-based email specialist announces new message actions within Outlook to boost IT and end user productivity
WALTHAM, Mass. – Mimecast, the leading supplier of cloud-based email archiving, security and continuity for Microsoft Exchange and Office 365, has today announced that it is launching the next generation of Mimecast Email Security, bringing new functionality to users and IT departments to deliver unprecedented control and flexibility. The new features are designed to boost productivity and address a growing appetite for end user autonomy while still affording the IT department full visibility of the organization’s email security.
Designed to combine increased flexibility with industry-leading security, the new functionality within Mimecast Email Security allows users to manage their own security settings on a per-message basis, in combination with centralized controls that allow the IT department to activate features and permissions for specific individuals or groups. This functionality includes end user controls as well as attachment and blocked sender management in compliance with enterprise security requirements.
Empowering email users:
- With employees increasingly demanding the ability to customize and tailor their workplace technology, Mimecast’s next generation email security gives users unparalleled control of their business email.
- Users will no longer have to leave Microsoft Outlook to report spam or manage their blocked sender lists.
- Traditional gateway workflows are integrated by exposing personal hold or moderation queues to users so that they don’t have to access another application to take the next action.
- Users will gain access to message actions from within Microsoft Outlook, creating a new level of user empowerment and giving employees autonomy over a range of email functions. Message actions include:
- User defined message encryption allows users to choose from available secure delivery options manually. These include Mimecast’s proprietary Closed Circuit Messaging (CCM), in which an email can only be viewed by the recipient through a secure online portal and cannot be forwarded.
- Intuitive document clean-up or conversion options providing users with the ability to remove unwanted or hidden metadata - such as tracked changes - or to simply convert the document to PDF.
- User activated ‘strip and link’ functionality: rather than having large attachments blocked by recipient mail servers, users can replace attachments with links to downloadable files, securely hosted by Mimecast.
- Email stationery and branding selection allowing users to decide which branding gets applied to individual messages, thus extending the flexibility of existing automated systems.
Giving IT departments control:
- While Mimecast Email Security is designed to empower users, it also allows the IT department to retain full control and visibility over the organisation’s email security:
- Granular permission controls allow system administrators to activate functions for individual employees or subsets of users as required.
- IT teams retain control over all default settings, allowing them to continue to set and manage security policies.
- A new deployment tool will allow a client side installation to be effected through existing software management systems, streamlining the roll-out process for both the IT department and end users.
- By allowing users greater control over their own email, through functions such as user self-service for quarantine management and the recovery of lost or deleted items, IT departments are able to reduce the time spent on basic system administration tasks, thereby freeing up resources for more strategic projects as well as reducing user frustration.
“It is no secret that the trend towards the consumerization of enterprise IT has seen end users becomingly increasingly vocal about the need for greater control and flexibility when it comes to core business technologies,” said Grant Hodgkinson, Product Director, Unified Email Management, Mimecast. “From talking to our customers, it was clear that they wanted to find a way to empower users, without compromising on the overall security of the business. By building granular controls and permissions into Mimecast Email Security and adding functionality, we want to help IT departments find a balance between productivity, flexibility and control. This technology is designed to allow IT teams to retain visibility and control where it is needed, while giving individual users greater power over their own email in a way that makes both sides more productive.”
“In the past, business security solutions have been costly, increase the level of management and significantly limit an employee’s productivity,” said Todd Park, IT Director, W&W|AFCO Steel. “With Mimecast’s email security solution, our email systems are not only more protected, but it provides our employees with more control and flexibility. Compared to other security offerings, Mimecast helps our organization reduce the complexity, maximize the power of existing investments and ensures we significantly reduce possible risks to our business.”
The latest version of Mimecast Email Security will be available fall 2012.
For an introduction to the benefits of Mimecast’s next generation Email Security, please visit: http://www.youtube.com/mimecast.
For more information on Mimecast and Mimecast Email Security, please visit: http://www.mimecast.com/
Mimecast (www.mimecast.com) delivers cloud-based email management for Microsoft Exchange, including archiving, continuity and security. By unifying disparate and fragmented email environments into one holistic solution that is always available from the cloud, Mimecast minimizes risk and reduces cost and complexity, while providing total end-to-end control of email. Founded in the United Kingdom in 2003, Mimecast serves more than 5,000 customers worldwide and has offices in Europe, North America, Africa and the Channel Islands.
Mimecast Social Media Resources
We welcome the opportunity to engage with the press and talk about our work and our industry.
Public Relations Manager, North America
+1 (617) 393 7122
UK & Europe
Senior PR & Communications Manager
+44 (0)207 847 8700
Africa, Middle East, India & Asia Pacific
PR & Communications Manager
+27 11 722 3700