What is Cyber Security Risk Management?
Cyber security risk management is a strategic approach that should prioritize threats. Cyber security risk management ensures the most critical threats are handled in a timely manner. A proper cyber risk management approach identifies, analyzes, evaluates, and addresses threats based on their potential impact.
Cyber Risk Management Techniques and Plan
- Conduct cyber security risk assessments
- Establish network access controls
- Implement firewalls and security software
- Create a patch management schedule
- Monitor network traffic
- Create an incident response plan
- Examine the physical security of your organization
- Minimize your attack surface
What is Cyber Security Risk Assessment?
A cyber security risk assessment identifies, analyzes, evaluates, and prioritizes various risks and vulnerabilities that have the potential to negatively impact your organization’s assets, people, and processes. Assessing and estimating risks of this nature helps organizations identify and use the appropriate cyber security controls to treat the identified risks and reduce security issues.
Cyber Security Risk Management Frameworks and Standards
Cyber security risk frameworks and standards describe in detail the guidelines, standards, and best practices for cyber security risk management at an organization. This framework should reduce exposure to weaknesses and vulnerabilities that cyber criminals may exploit.
Resilience is the key to cyber risk management
To successfully protect your organization, your cyber risk management efforts today must be focused on cyber resiliency. Traditionally, cyber risk management has been all about security and mitigating cyber threats. But as the threat landscape grows more potent and diverse, adopting cyber security products and strategies simply isn't enough. Email-borne threats like ransomware, impersonation fraud and spear-phishing are remarkably complex and increasingly successful at breaching corporate defenses. And all the security solutions in the world can't prevent disasters due to weather, human error or mechanical failure in critical infrastructure.
That's why so many organizations today are improving cyber risk management by increasing data resilience. With cyber resilience strategies, you must still be focused on preventing threats like the email-related attacks that so frequently result in highly publicized security breaches. But you must also prepare for the day when an attack may be successful, putting in place the kind of business continuity and backup/recovery solutions that will let your employees continue to work and communicate without skipping a beat. Successful cyber resilience and cyber risk management efforts must also be about training users to be more aware of cyber risk and enlisting them as a powerful front line in defending against cyberattacks and downtime.
Mimecast provides comperhansive services for email security, multipurpose archiving, and business continuity that can immediately move your organization towards more effective cyber risk management.
Best Practices for Cyber Security Risk Management
- Build an organization-wide cyber security risk management culture
- Conduct regular security awareness training
- Ensure your entire organization understands the critical role they play in cyber security
- Prioritize threats and address the most critical first
- Develop and implement an effective and inclusive cyber security risk framework that holds teams and individuals accountable while ensuring proper training
- Develop and implement risk assessment and incident response processes
Simplify cyber risk management with Mimecast
Mimecast provides comprehensive services for email security, multipurpose archiving and business continuity that can immediately move your organization toward more effective cyber risk management.
Built on a cloud platform architecture and managed via a single pane of glass, Mimecast services provide powerful tools for increasing cyber security resilience while simplifying the tasks of managing and protecting email data. Mimecast's single cloud-based solution lets you skip the capital expense and headache of managing a variety of on-premises solutions while avoiding the danger of relying on a single vendor for email services.
Comprehensive solutions for cyber risk management
Mimecast services for cyber risk management include:
- Security services to protect against a wide variety of threats, with tools for insider threat detection, thwarting advanced threats like ransomware and spear-phishing, preventing spam and malware, preventing data leaks, and more.
- Backup and recovery services that rely on a multipurpose archive to keep data available, replicated, and safe in the cloud.
- Continuity services that let users continue to access email, calendars, and data without disruption, even during outages and attacks.
- End-user awareness services that provide training and tools for employees.
Learn more about cyber risk management with Mimecast.