Perform a free DKIM record check
DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) is a protocol for authenticating email that enables the receiver to check whether an email was sent and authorized by the owner of a sending domain. Using a DKIM signature can help to stop phishing scams that impersonate well-known email domains – but only when the DKIM record is valid.
Mimecast DMARC Analyzer provides a free DKIM record check that tests the domain name and the selector for a valid published DKIM record. Mimecast's DKIM record check service may uncover errors in syntax or data that can affect mail delivery. Testing potential updates with a DKIM record check is strongly recommended before applying the updates.
Perform a DKIM record check now
Improve DKIM authentication with DMARC
DKIM authentication was developed as a way of verifying that an email sent from a domain is legitimate and that the content in it has not been altered in transit. With the DKIM protocol, the sender "signs" each email with a digital signature. Receiving mail servers can check DKIM records found in the DNS record to validate if an email is authenticated.
DKIM on its own is only moderately successful at stopping certain kinds of spoofing and in reducing the percentage of mail that gets sent to Spam and Junk folders. DKIM is ineffective at blocking spoofed email that uses a fake "from" address in the header – the only address that most users see. Consequently, many organizations are adopting DMARC to improve email security.
DMARC, or Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance, builds on DKIM and SPF (Sender Policy Framework), requiring that an email pass one or both authentication protocols and outlining what should happen to emails that fail authentication.
While DMARC brings a new level of rigor to email security, it can be difficult to deploy and complicated to manage. That's why Mimecast offers DMARC Analyzer to help organizations more easily take advantage of the power of DMARC to improve email security.
Mimecast DMARC Analyzer
Mimecast DMARC Analyzer provides user-friendly DMARC analysis and serves as an expert guide for organizations moving toward a DMARC reject policy as quickly as possible. Offered as an SaaS solution, DMARC Analyzer enables administrators to easily manage the complex task of DMARC deployment. The solution provides 360° visibility and governance across all email channels and includes self-service email intelligence tools to publish a DMARC policy on the gateway.
DMARC Analyzer also includes:
- Alerts, reports and charts to help achieve enforcement and monitor performance.
- Forensic reports that help administrators identify the source of malicious emails.
- The ability to check DNS changes over time and to receive proactive email prompts when DNS records are altered.
- A DMARC record setup wizard to generate DMARC records.
- Summary reports provided daily and weekly enabling administrators to track progress.
- Two-factor authentication for greater security.
- Options for DMARC Office 365 configuration.
- Unlimited users, domains and domain groups that help to ensure full coverage of DMARC policy.
- Managed services (optional) that help to minimize risk and that offer the fastest path to DMARC enforcement.
Mimecast Impersonation Protect and other Mimecast solutions
While DMARC Analyzer helps prevent attackers from using your domain, Mimecast Impersonation Protect protects against domain similarity – where attackers impersonate your brand by using domains that are very nearly identical to yours to target employees, customers and others.
Mimecast Impersonation Protect helps to spot malware-less attacks that use social engineering to dupe users into revealing credentials, sharing their personal information or wiring money to a fraudulent account. This Mimecast service performs real-time scans of all inbound emails to look for the telltale signs of an impersonation attempt: header anomalies, domain similarity, recently registered domains, sender spoofing and suspicious content in the body of the email.
Mimecast also offers additional anti-spoofing solutions that include:
- Mimecast Web Security, a technology that adds monitoring and security to the DNS layer to prevent malicious web activity, block the use of inappropriate websites in the workplace and monitor the use of cloud applications to reduce the risk of shadow IT.
- Mimecast Brand Exploit Protect, a service that uses machine learning and quadrillions of targeted scans to discover and block sites that are part of a website spoofing attempt, where attackers clone your site on a domain that is similar to yours.
- Email Security with Targeted Threat Protection, a suite of services that provides next generation protection against advanced email-borne threats such as spear-phishing, malicious URLs and attachments, malware and spam.
- Awareness training, a highly engaging and effective program for educating employees about cybersecurity risks and the types of behavior that can lead to security breaches.
FAQs: What is a DKIM record check?
What is DKIM?
DKIM, or DomainKeys Identified Email, is a technique for validating that an email is authentic and that it has not been changed or forged in transit. With DKIM, a sender signs an email with a digital signature using a private key and publishes the key in the domains DNS record.
What is a DKIM record?
A DKIM record is a line of text in the DNS record that contains the public key which can be used by a receiving mail server to authenticate email.
What is a DKIM record check?
A DKIM record check is a service that tests a domain name and selector and examines a published DKIM record to identify any issues with syntax or content that may affect successful mail delivery. Mimecast offers a free DKIM record check, along with free SPF and DMARC record checks.