What is an email spam checker?
An email spam checker is a service that uses filters to analyze an email’s content to determine if it is a legitimate or illegitimate communication. Acting as an added layer of cybersecurity protection, spam email checkers help detect emails that may come from blacklisted email domains or contain malicious content and block them from landing in your inbox.
What does an email spam checker do?
Spam checkers analyze email content to prevent bad emails from hitting your inbox by:
- Using validation protocols such as DKIM, DMARC, and SPF to reduce the occurrence of spamming and phishing.
- Checking the contents of an email to determine if the text of the email contains spam words or large files.
- Verifying if the email is coming from a valid or backlisted IP address or domain.
- Running a spam email filtering program.
What to look out for when buying an email spam checker tool?
When looking to invest in a quality spam email checker, consider the following:
Features — A reliable email spam checker should have:
- IP/ Domain validation capabilities.
- The three main tools used to prevent email phishing and spoofing: domain keys identified mails (DKIM); Sender Policy Framework (SPF); and Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance (DMARC).
- Content checkers.
- The ability to check against Spam Assassin. — Price- Evaluate the price/performance ratio. A more expensive service does not necessarily mean it is better than lower cost or free options on the market.
- Virtually eliminate spam with email spam filters with an SLA to block 99% of spam with 0.0001% false positives.
- Enable employees to use self-service capabilities to manage blocked and permitted senders lists, reducing calls to the help desk and improving productivity.
- Handle newsletters, mailing lists and other graymail more easily with an email spam checker providing tools for filing and decluttering inboxes.
- Provide support for mail validation technology like DMARC and DKIM.
— Effectiveness- Read reviews and comparisons from other businesses and users about their experience with each service.
Protect your organization with a superior email spam checker
A sophisticated email spam checker can save your organization a lot of money, time and headaches.
Spam is a serious threat to productivity, profitability and IT security. Spam slows the pace of work by forcing employees to wade through mountains of unwanted email. It damages network performance by consuming bandwidth and harms organizational performance by draining IT resources. And as a tool of fraudsters, hackers and cyber-criminals, spam can be the source of security breaches that can bring a company to its knees.
It takes a superior email spam checker to mitigate these risks. That’s why so many leading companies today turn to Mimecast for email spam protection.
An email spam checker from Mimecast
Mimecast provides a leading email spam checker as part of its all-in-one mail management system for email security, archiving and continuity. With best-of-breed services integrated on a single platform, Mimecast simplifies the task of managing email spam filters and security, providing administrators with the ability to easily apply policies across the organization.
Mimecast’s email spam checker is a component of Mimecast Secure Email Gateway, which uses multi-layer detection engines and sophisticated threat intelligence to protect email and employees from spam, viruses, advanced threats and zero-day attacks.
With Mimecast’s email spam checker, you can:
By stopping spam and other threats before they reach the network, Mimecast’s email management system and email spam check technology improve security while reducing the load on email servers.
An email spam checker for Targeted Threat Protection
Mimecast’s email spam checker and email security technology provide superior defenses against phishing, spear-phishing and other email-borne threats. Mimecast scans all incoming and archived email to identify suspicious links and attachments and prevent users from opening them. Mimecast also provides dynamic user awareness capabilities for users to better understand security policies and involve them in assessing risks in their email workflow.
Learn more about Mimecast email spam checker, And about Mimecast Exchange archive solutions.
Email spam checker FAQs
What is email spam?
Email spam, or junk email, is a term used to refer to unsolicited email messages. Spam is usually sent in bulk and can clog up inboxes. Spam can be sent by real people, but it is more commonly sent by bots and is likely to contain malicious links that pose a risk to your cybersecurity.
How to check if an email is spam?
In addition to using a spam email checker to screen incoming emails, it is also helpful to be aware of the following traits commonly seen in spam emails:
- Misspellings of domain names
- Heavy misspellings and grammatical errors within the email content
- Distorted images and logos
- The content is urgent in nature and asks you to divulge personal information or send money
How does a spam checker boost email security?
Spam checkers detect unsolicited and virus-laden emails and prevent them from being delivered to inboxes. In addition to boosting email security, spam checkers diminish inbox clutter and boost productivity for employees as they can spend less time clearing out their inbox and more time focusing on valuable tasks.