Episode #11, Season 5 of Phishy Business: Protecting Shoes: Balancing Cybersecurity Strategy and Business Success at Dr. Martens
In this episode of Phishy Business, we talk about how today’s cybersecurity strategy needs to focus on risk while still allowing smooth operation of the business. We also discuss how cybersecurity must involve the board so that business goals and cyber strategy align.
Our special guest is Theo Botha, Global Information Security Officer at Dr. Martens. Theo is responsible for protecting the Dr. Martens brand, one of the most iconic in the world. Theo began his career in physical security which evolved into a more technology-based approach. That led Theo to information security, and then, to cybersecurity and risk management. Today, Theo ensures Dr. Martens’ cybersecurity strategy protects the business while not hindering its ability to operate successfully.
In ‘Protecting Shoes: Balancing Cybersecurity Strategy and Business Success at Dr. Martens’, we discuss:
- The main ways the cybersecurity landscape has changed over the years.
- How Theo adapted to being in a brand-new role at Dr. Martens as the world went into lockdown.
- Communicating risks to the board by aligning to business objectives.
- How he protects the online presence of one most well-known brands in the world.
- Educating consumers and employees about cyber threats.
- Managing supply chain attacks.
- The skills shortage and managing the stress placed on teams.