Last Updated – May 25, 2018
This document describes technical and organizational security measures and controls implemented by Mimecast to protect the data customers entrust to us as part of the Mimecast service.
Within this document, the following definitions apply:
- “Customer” means any subscriber to the Mimecast service.
- “Mimecast Service” means the Software-as-a-Service provided by Mimecast to our Customers.
- “Customer Data” means any information provided or submitted by the Customer that is processed by the Mimecast service.
- “Personal Data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
- “Personnel” means Mimecast employees and authorized individual contractors/vendors.
- “Strong Encryption” means the use of industry standard encryption measures.
This document is a high-level overview of Mimecast’s technical and organizational measures.
Mimecast may change these measures from time to time to adapt to the evolving security landscape and where required will notify customers of these changes.
1. Organization of Information Security
To outline Mimecast’s information security structure.
- Mimecast employs full-time dedicated trained/certified security Personnel responsible for information security.
- The information security function reports directly to the Mimecast senior leadership team.
- Mimecast has a comprehensive set of information security policies, approved by senior management and disseminated to all Personnel.
- All Mimecast Personnel have signed legally reviewed confidentiality agreements.
- Alle werknemers van Mimecast worden getraind in informatiebeveiliging.
2. Beheersysteem informatiebeveiliging
To demonstrate Mimecast’s commitment to manage the assessment and treatment of these risks and to continually improve its information security.
- Mimecast has deployed an ISMS (Information Security Management System) that serves as the foundation of our information security practices.
- Mimecast and its ISMS has been and continues to be assessed by an independent, external auditor and currently receives attestations under
- ISO 27001
- ISO 27018
- SOC II type 2
- Customers can request copies of these assessments on an annual basis through their Customer Experience contact.
3. Physical Access
To protect the physical assets that contain Customer Data.
- De Mimecast-service opereert vanuit verschillende gecertificeerde, dataproductiecentra van derden met een gedefinieerde en beschermde fysieke begrenzing, sterke fysieke controles, waaronder mechanismen voor toegangscontrole, gecontroleerde laad- en loszones, surveillance en bewakers.
- Each Data Center is audited for compliance to Mimecast security controls.
- Only authorized Personnel have access to the data center premises housing Customer Data and access is controlled through a security registration process requiring a government issued photo ID.
- Power and telecommunications cabling carrying Customer Data or supporting information services at the production data centers are protected from interception, interference and damage.
- The production data centers and their equipment are physically protected against natural disasters, unauthorized entry, malicious attacks, and accidents.
- Equipment at the production data center is protected from power failures and other disruptions caused by failures in supporting utilities, and is appropriately maintained.
To ensure systems containing Customer Data are used only by approved, authenticated users.
- Access to Mimecast systems is granted only to Mimecast Personnel and/or to permitted employees of Mimecast’s subcontractors and access is strictly limited as required for those persons to fulfil their function.
- All users access Mimecast systems with a unique identifier (UID).
- Mimecast has established a password policy that prohibits the sharing of passwords and requires passwords to be changed on a regular basis and default passwords to be altered. All passwords must fulfil defined minimum complexity requirements and are stored in encrypted form.
- Access to systems containing Customer Data are only possible through a secure VPN tunnel and require a second factor of authentication.
- Mimecast has a comprehensive process to deactivate users and their access when Personnel leaves the company or a function.
- All access or attempted access to systems is logged and monitored.
5. Data Access
To ensure Personnel entitled to use systems gain access only to the Customer Data that they are authorized to access.
- As a matter of course, Mimecast Personnel do not access Customer Data and where access is required to operate the service or assist in a customer issue, the request for access must be formally justified/tracked and approved by the customer.
- Mimecast restricts Personnel access to Customer Data on a "need-to-know” basis based on this justification.
- Each such access and its subsequent operations are logged and monitored.
- Personnel training covers access rights to and general guidelines on definition and use of Customer Data.
6. Transmissie/opslag/vernietiging van gegevens
To ensure Customer Data is not read, copied, altered or deleted by unauthorized parties during transfer/storage.
- Customer access to the Mimecast Service portals are protected by the most current version of Transport Layer Security (TLS).
- Mimecast uses Strong Encryption in the transmission of Customer Data within our production data centers.
- Each Customer is assigned a unique Strong Encryption key and that key is used
- To encrypt Customer Data and store it in an encrypted format at rest within the Mimecast Service.
- To decrypt Customer Data when requested as part of the service.
- Op verzoek van de klant worden klantgegevens onmiddellijk verwijderd.
- Er dient te worden opgemerkt dat klantgegevens bij elk verzoek tot verwijdering logisch wordt verwijderd in de eerste opslagkopie en daarna volledig wordt verwijderd in de andere kopieën. Dit gebeurt om onbedoelde verwijdering of mogelijke bewuste schade te voorkomen.
- Mimecast equipment or disk media containing Customer Data are not physically removed from the production data center unless securely erased prior to such removal or being transferred securely for destruction at a third-party site.
7. Confidentiality and Integrity
To ensure Customer Data remains confidential throughout processing and remains intact, complete and current during processing activities.
- Mimecast has a formal background check process and carries out background checks on all new Personnel.
- Mimecast trains its engineering Personnel in application security practices and secure coding practices.
- Mimecast has a central, secured repository of product source code, which is accessible only to authorized Personnel.
- Mimecast has a formal application security program and employs a robust Secure Development Lifecycle (SDL).
- Security testing includes code review, penetration testing, and employing static code analysis tools on a periodic basis to identify flaws.
- All changes to software on the Mimecast Service are via a controlled, approved release mechanism within a formal change control program.
- All encryption and other cryptographic functionality used within the Mimecast Service uses industry standard encryption and cryptographic measures aligned with the standards promulgated with FIPS 140-2.
To ensure Customer Data is protected from accidental destruction or loss, and there is timely access, restoration or availability to Customer Data in the event of a service incident.
- Mimecast uses a high level of redundancy when storing Customer Data. Customer Data is stored in triplicate across 2 geographically separate data centers using 2 separate cross connections.
- Each data center can be failed-over/back in the event of flooding, earthquake, fire or other physical destruction or power outage to protect Customer Data against accidental destruction and loss.
- Each production data center has multiple power supplies, generators on-site and with battery back-up to safeguard power availability to the data center.
- Each production data center has multiple access points to the Internet to safeguard connectivity.
- Each production data center is monitored 24x7x365 for power, network, environmental and technical issues.
- Mimecast maintains a robust Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery program including
- Well defined updated plans.
- Regular Testing and retrospectives.
- Mimecast receives an annual independent ISO 22301 assessment of its Business Continuity practices.
- Customers can request copies of this assessment on an annual basis through their Customer Experience contact.
9. Data Separation
To ensure each Customer’s Data is processed separately.
- Mimecast gebruikt logische scheiding binnen de multitenant-architectuur om scheiding van gegevens tussen klanten af te dwingen.
- In each step of the processing, Customer Data received from different Customers is assigned a unique identifier so data is always physically or logically separated.
- Customers only have access to their own Customer Data through the use of the Strong encryption key outlined in measure 6.c.
10. Incident Management
In the event of any security breach of Customer Data, the effect of the breach is minimized and the Customer is promptly informed.
- Mimecast maintains an up-to-date incident response plan that includes responsibilities, how information security events are assessed and classified as incidents and response plans and procedures.
- Mimecast regularly tests its incident response plan with “table-top” exercises and learns from tests and potential incidents to improve the plan.
- In the event of a security breach, Mimecast will notify Customers without undue delay after becoming aware of the security breach.
To ensure Mimecast regularly tests, assesses and evaluates the effectiveness of the technical and organizational measures outlined above.
- Mimecast voert regelmatig interne en externe audits uit voor de beveiligingsmethoden.
- Mimecast ensures that Personnel are aware of and comply with the technical and organizational measures set forth in this document.
- Mimecast conducts at least semi-annual penetration tests of the Mimecast Service using external security experts.
- Customers can request copies of these test results on an annual basis through their Customer Experience contact.
U kunt zich abonneren op meldingen voor wijzigingen in deze en andere aan de AVG gerelateerde informatie door hier te klikken en zich te abonneren op de feed 'AVG-documenten'.