Young employees’ ‘social’ approach to email puts UK business at risk
‘Generation Gmail’ heading for office culture clash reveals new research from Mimecast
Read this international study commissioned by Mimecast® entitled “Generation Gmail”, which investigates how attitudes to work email use are evolving and how progressive employers are managing this core communication channel. Results reveal that businesses are being compromised by an emerging ‘Generation Gmail’ of corporate email users. A new group of social media savvy employees display a particular frustration with corporate email restrictions, complaining that mailbox sizes are too constrained and that they will readily “work around” using personal email to be as productive and flexible as possible. The results focus on rogue emailing and how the associated information security risk is exacerbated by the over-zealous approach of some employers to controlling email usage.
The study finds that education has a big role to play; and that IT departments are failing to embrace the younger generations of employees for whom social media has affected the way they balance work and life together, and consequently the way they want to use corporate email to do their jobs in a productive and flexible way. However the research also suggests that education by itself will not be enough; the correct use of technology is also needed to ensure compliant email behaviour and reduce the need to ‘work around’ the limitations of corporate email.
Download this research to understand more about the implications of Generation Gmail on your corporate email:
- 79 per cent of people send work emails from their personal email accounts, with 1 in 5 saying they do this on a regular basis
- 71 per cent of people recognise there is an additional risk in sending work documents outside the corporate email environment, but 47 per cent think it is acceptable to send work emails and documents to personal email accounts
- 40 per cent of those asked say that if they had an unlimited mailbox at work, they would be less likely to send work emails to personal email accounts
- More than a third (36%) of incoming email to work inboxes is NOT work related
- Over 300 work-related emails are sent per person via personal accounts each year
- Generation Gmail is particularly predisposed to personal email; 52 per cent rated it as better than work email in terms of mailbox size, compared to just 29 per cent of over 55s
Mimecast delivers cloud-based email management for Microsoft Exchange, including archiving, continuity and security. By unifying disparate and fragmented email environments into one holistic solution that is always available from the cloud, Mimecast minimizes risk and reduces cost and complexity, while providing total end-to-end control of email. Founded in the United Kingdom in 2003, Mimecast serves approximately 4,000 customers worldwide and has offices in Europe, North America, Africa and the Channel Islands
Mimecast Social Media Resources
We welcome the opportunity to engage with the press and talk about our work and our industry.
Public Relations Manager, North America
+1 (617) 393 7122
UK & Europe
Senior PR & Communications Manager
+44 (0)207 847 8700
Africa, Middle East, India & Asia Pacific
PR & Communications Manager
+27 11 722 3700