Office 365 email migration basics
What is Exchange migration or O365 migration?
Exchange or O365 migration refers to the process of transferring email data from legacy archives to Microsoft Exchange or Office 365 – cloud solutions that provide greater accessibility, easier management features and reduced costs over traditional on-premise email storage. Migration to Office 365 or Exchange involves a number of challenges, including potential data loss, downtime, disruption and high costs. Mimecast Simply Migrate overcomes these obstacles with a solution that enables migration to Office 365 or Exchange quickly, easily and cost-efficiently.
How do I migrate to Office 365?
Migrating email data to Office 365 requires a migration tool that can transfer email in legacy archives to Microsoft Office 365 as fast and cost-effectively as possible – without jeopardizing data integrity. Mimecast Simply Migrate provides an easy-to-use tool that moves data much faster than traditional solutions while ensuring data quality and enabling business continuity.
The challenge of email migration to Office 365
While moving email systems to Microsoft Office 365 makes a lot of business sense, migration to Office 365 poses significant risks and challenges for IT teams. Taking pains to protect data from loss or corruption is critical, but migration to Office 365 must also be accomplished as quickly as possible to avoid downtime and disruption and to ensure users have continual access to their email and the associated email archives. And as IT teams face constant financial pressure to do more with limited resources, successful migration to Office 365 must be accomplished as cost-efficiently as possible.
Mimecast provides a rich set of cloud-based services providing superior email security, continuity and data integrity as you migrate to Office 365 from Exchange or other email platforms. With Mimecast, you can significantly reduce the risk, cost and time involved in your Office 365 migration.
How to manage email migration to Office 365 with Mimecast
Mimecast offers a fully integrated subscription service that enables organizations to reduce the risk, complexity and cost of managing and protecting email, and simplifies the task of email migration.
Mimecast supports an Office 365 email migration with services for:
Mimecast helps to ensure the integrity of email data as you migrate to Office 365 by providing a secure and perpetual cloud archive that can be easily queried and searched for operational and legal requirements, and that is recoverable if required. With Mimecast Office 365 email archiving, users can search emails and retrieve content within seconds, while administrators manage compliance, e-discovery and litigation requirements.
Mimecast provides broad-spectrum security during an Office 365 email migration, ensuring optimum security coverage in a highly volatile threat landscape. Mimecast provides protection from spear-phishing as well as malware, viruses, spam and data leaks.
Mimecast enables users to maintain access email during service outages, planned downtime or an Office 365 email migration, automatically rerouting email to employees via the Mimecast cloud.
Benefits of Mimecast’s Office 365 migration tools
With Mimecast Simply Migrate, you can:
- Monitor migration to Office 365 with intuitive workflows that allow users of any type to view the status of migration from multiple perspectives.
- Accelerate migration through data streaming, transferring data via the Internet rather than extracting it, processing it locally, placing it on disk and shipping it. With Mimecast, end-to-end setup, configuration and migration to Office 365 can be accomplished in a much shorter window.
- Reduce the cost of migration to Office 365 with local client-side processing before transmission that eliminates the cost of transferring unnecessary, duplicative, damaged or uncompressed data volumes.
Protect data in transit and in archive by storing multiple encrypted copies, providing tamper-resistant chains of custody and by relying on Mimecast email security solutions that provide advanced Office 365 threat intelligence for Outlook and Exchange online protection
Exchange to Office 365 migration
When moving from an on-premises Exchange environment to the cloud-based Office 365, there are many critical Exchange to Office 365 migration steps. The first decision is about process – will a cutover migration, an Office 365 staged migration or a hybrid migration to Office 365 best serve your needs. Next you'll need to think about how to protect your data during the transition, as some levels of protection may be lost during migration. You'll also need a plan to protect email data from loss and corruption as you migrate mailboxes, or you'll risk losing valuable information and intelligence in the move. Since migrations may involve downtime, you'll need a plan to accomplish the migration as quickly and unobtrusively as possible.
Mimecast supports your Exchange migration to Office 365 with a cloud-based solution providing assurance you’ll have full access to current and archived email before, during and after the migration.
As you execute your Exchange migration to Office 365, Mimecast delivers:
- Email security services providing critical defenses against advanced threats like spear-phishing and zero-day attacks as well as spam, malware and viruses.
- Data leak prevention with tools to scan outgoing email, blocking and quarantining suspect email for administrator review.
- Fast response to litigation and compliance requests with email archiving tools for searching your email storage and retrieving messages and attachments within seconds.
- Mailbox level-compliant archiving for an independent, verifiable backup of email data that supports legal hold, e-discovery and recovery.
- Access to email during outages and disasters. Mimecast Mailbox Continuity ensures your employees can send and receive email even when Office 365 is down.
- Instant access to legacy archives that may not be part of your Exchange migration to Office 365.
- Faster Exchange migration to Office 365 with cloud mailbox archiving and message routing.
Learn more about Office 365 email migration with help from Mimecast.