The challenge of encrypted email.
To protect your organization against inadvertent or deliberate data leaks, your employees need a way to send encrypted email when communicating sensitive or confidential information to external contacts. But initiating encrypted email is a complex and cumbersome challenge for employees who are not experts in enterprise email encryption. Consequently, traditional approaches like public key infrastructure or enforced server-to-server Transport Layer Security may not be adequately adopted by your employees.
Mimecast Secure Messaging offers an alternative to traditional solutions for encrypted email. This user-friendly platform provides a cloud-based secure channel for sending and receiving sensitive information via email, so that information never leaves the Mimecast Secure Messaging portal.
Mimecast’s solution for encrypted email requirements.
Mimecast Secure Messaging uses a secure web portal to easily and securely send emails containing sensitive information. Here’s how it works:
- When employees need to send an encrypted email, they simply create a new email in Outlook and select a Send Secure checkbox on the Mimecast for Outlook tab. Secure messaging can also be automatically triggered when email content or attachments meet certain policy criteria.
- Once the user presses Send, the email and attachments are securely uploaded to an email server on the Mimecast cloud, scanned for malware, checked against email privacy, content and data leak prevention (DLP) policies, and then stored in a secure AES-encrypted archive.
- A notification message is sent to the recipient of the email, directing the recipient to log into the Secure Messaging portal where they can read and reply to secure messages and compose a new message to the original sender.
Benefits of Mimecast’s alternative solution for encrypted email.
Mimecast Secure Messaging provides all the benefits of encrypted email and offers additional advantages.
- Ease-of-use. Senders don’t need complex access keys for encrypted email. Recipients don’t need to install software, produce certificates or manage encryption keys.
- A consistent experience. The Secure Messaging portal and notifications can be tailored to reflect your organization’s name, colors and logo, building brand recognition and recipient confidence.
- Granular controls. Mimecast’s encrypted email solution provides sender or policy-driven options to require read receipts, revoke message access, enforce message expiration dates, and prevent Reply, Reply All and printing.
- Improve compliance. Secure messages are subject to compliance, email virus protection and DLP policies to comply with a variety of regulatory frameworks.