Episode 12, Season 2 of Phishy Business: Intent-based leadership tales
In this episode, we speak to Captain David Marquet, best-selling author, creator of intent-based leadership and former commander of nuclear-powered submarines for the US Navy.
Listen to the episode to learn about Captain David Marquet's career and how it shaped his views on leadership. We discuss his philosophy of intent-based leadership, his commitment to give control to and treat his team as leaders. This led the submarine he was in charge of to be recognised as “worst to first,” achieving the highest retention and operational standings in the navy.
In ‘giving orders can get you in big trouble’ we discuss:
- How commanding a nuclear submarine in the US Navy taught our guest valuable lessons on leadership
- Giving orders is not always the best way to run teams
- Permission-based organisations are designed to prevent actions and bold ideas
- Empowering teams to show what they intend to do creates innovation and better results
- If you have to give orders, be clear about it
- Leadership is a language, be mindful of how you use it
- Tools, such as flashlights, can become a powerful metaphor for change
Subscribe to Cyber Resilience Insights for more articles like these
Get all the latest news and cybersecurity industry analysis delivered right to your inbox
Sign up successful
Thank you for signing up to receive updates from our blog
We will be in touch!