Cloud archiving addresses The many CHALLENGES of mobile email management
It’s hard to imagine getting through the day without using a cloud email service. Just keeping up with our own accounts is the tip of the iceberg. Mobile email management – including archiving – for an entire organization presents real challenges for IT and ISO pros.
- Insufficient Security. Data security is important regardless of industry, but it’s crucial in certain sectors, such as healthcare. Sensitive data such as protected health information must be encrypted when sharing inside and outside the organization. Email protection software helps safeguard your cloud email service from viruses, spam and advanced targeted threats like phishing. You also can apply retention policies to include those messages in e-discovery cases and litigation requests; your users can access their emails via their mobile devices for as long as your retention policies allow.
- Incomplete Use Cases. Even if you know decisions about your file archiving solution have downstream effects, you need a deeper understanding of how employees actually interact with it. Take this example from attorney Robert Hanna, partner with Tucker Ellis LLP in Cleveland: “I travel a lot, and even when I don’t travel, I work from home on weekends, early morning or later at night. I need to have the access to my desk and all that my desk entails wherever I am.” Bonus: Mobile access is also helpful during conferences in judges’ chambers.
- Inefficient Search. We all know wait time is a drag. But it’s not just frustrating – it eats up staff time, slows productivity and increases costs. Many legacy archive data solutions take too long to return results – especially via a mobile device. Look for one that returns email search results fast.
- Inadequate Third-Party Access. “If you’re using an e-discovery consultant, remote access saves on fees to get them out to your facility -- sometimes they’re there for days and weeks just to download,” explains Philadelphia-based attorney Jana Landon, co-chair of Stradley Ronon’s data breach response and cyber insurance teams, and co-founder and chair of its e-discovery team.
- Inconvenienced Employees. Employees don’t just expect mobile access to the data they need, they demand it – especially when working on high-stakes or time-sensitive projects. And they don’t like excuses. It’s not just frustration levels, either. Data from IHS Markit shows that the cost of downtime is “substantial, from $1 million a year for a typical mid-size company to over $60 million for a large enterprise.” Whether it’s planned downtime for maintenance or a fire or other disaster, organizations can reduce the financial and productivity impacts with a solution that provides mobile, remote access to archive data even when your email servers are down.
Don’t let these challenges get you down. Instead, use this list to investigate options for overcoming these obstacles with an upgrade to your existing system or a migration to a new archiving software.
Love to Learn AboutCyber Resilience for Email?
Get all the latest news, tips and articles delivered right to your inbox
You will receive an email shortly